Kingston’s Journal: Why I’m in Thailand

Have a purpose and be flexible with it.

I came to Thailand because I felt my life was going into a rut back in Reno and I thought another year there would lead to the same old same old. So I began planning my escape 6 months in advance. I wanted to go to Thailand primarily to learn Muay Thai. And of course I wanted to pursue my childhood dream of seeing the world.

Things have of course changed. I’ve stayed here longer than I intended, I ended up living in Bangkok rather than Chiang Mai, I learned a good deal of Latin Dance of all things, and I feel a lot stronger and more confident in my body from the Muay Thai training. I’ve also gained confidence in my public speaking and leadership skills by managing classrooms.

If I continued to stay here, I could perfect what I’ve learned, but that would take many years. I’ve talked about this before, 80% of what you learn comes from the first 20% of the time you spend in it. I’ve done that in Thailand, and now I’m unwilling to spend 80% of the remaining time to gain the last 20%.

Kingston S. Lim

November 30, 2019

Bangkok, Thailand

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s